Thursday, May 22, 2008

The $4000 Chew Toy

Miles has ruined his second hearing aid. He finds those moments when I turn my back and suddenly he has his hearing aid all the way in his mouth. He ruined the first one last week. In fact, it might have been earlier. I was going to post an entry entitled, "I am a terrible mother." Here's the story.
It was the Saturday before Mother's Day and, as you have read previously, Miles was sick. He had already had a few episodes of projectile vomiting when something would hit his especially sensitive gag reflex and he would puke up everything in his belly. This led to some very exciting breakfasts as Cheerios seem to really set him off. So I had my back to him as I was sending out a Mother's Day e-mail about the "true meaning of Mother's Day." Suddenly, he was puking again and when I rushed over to him, I found the item that was triggering his gag reflex was his hearing aid. After a mild panic and extreme self flagellation, all was fine. But I discovered his hearing aid did not work sometime the following Wednesday.
I found him sucking on the other one yesterday. I think he does it to punish me for not making him the complete and total center of my universe. Fair enough.

1 comment:

Liz said...

Susan, Miles is adorable!! I'm sorry to hear that he too has been in an ER and I totally know that feeling of helplessness. I guess it is just preparing us for all the other "evils" they will encounter throughout their life without us being able to shield them.

I'm also sorry to hear about Miles hearing loss. Did you know that I'm half deaf? I don't have any hearing in my right ear. I was born this way, but it wasn't discovered until I was 2 1/2. I think it is amazing that they can detect hearing loss so early on. Hopefully with the hearing aids Miles will not miss a beat. It sure sounds like he is doing very well.