Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Dancing in the living room


Miles has a great smile and a funny laugh but my favorite of his expressions is one of unbridled joy. He scrunches up his nose and opens his mouth wide in a huge smile. It's impossible not to feel happy when he gives you this smile. It usually lasts for just a moment or two but it leaves a warmth that follows you through your day.

Yesterday I put on some music to entertain me during the afternoon. I brought him into the living room and we began dancing to Michael Franti's "You Can Bomb the World to Pieces (But You Can't Bomb It Into Peace)." Maybe it was the fact that I was singing to him, maybe it was the upbeat rhythm or, as I like to believe, the political, peaceful message, but the entire time we danced, he had this look of complete unrestrained joy on his face. It was such a wonderful moment, one of shared pleasure.

No comments: