Sunday, April 27, 2008

San Francisco Zoo


I took Miles to the zoo a few days ago. I have mixed feelings about zoos and the SF zoo did nothing to change that. We started off at the children's zoo which was definitely the place to start. The first exhibit had bunnies and guinea pigs running about a big yard. One long hair guinea pig looked like someones toupee had escaped from his head. Miles didn't quite understand that there were things to look at. He just stared at me with a look that said, "Tell me again why we're here?"
But when we got to the prairie dogs and the meerkats, he was interested in the scurrying creatures and then got the idea that this was a place to look at things. He was pretty captivated by the meerkats. Then we got to the petting area. There were goats and sheep just wandering around so we pet some. At first, he was kind of freaked out by the goats but when he saw that I was touching them, he reached out to feel the fur. We also had a lot of fun looking at the ducks and pigs. I'm not sure if he recognized the signs for them as we do them quite a lot at home, but I'm pretty sure he recognized my imitation of their sounds!
He had his second ride on a carousel and this time sat on top of a horse. He enjoyed the ride and watched the painted pictures moving by.
Then we moved on to the bigger animals. While some of the animals like the kangaroos and the giraffes had open spaces to move about, some animals like the tiger, the lions and all of the bears we saw, had much smaller enclosures. While most seemed not to mind too much, the polar bear was pacing back and forth in a truly pathetic way.
While I'm glad Miles had the opportunity to see the different animals, I'm not sure that I feel the need to return anytime too soon.

No comments: